- Michigan has a total area of 97,990 square miles. This includes 58,110 square miles of land and 39,880 square miles of water.
- Michigan has the longest freshwater shoreline in the world.
- Michigan has more than 11,000 inland lakes and more than 36,000 miles of streams.
- Forty of the state's 83 counties adjoin at least one of the Great Lakes.
- Standing anywhere in the state, a person is within 85 miles of one of the Great Lakes.
- Michigan's total population is 9,896,000 residing in 58,572 square miles.
- The highest recorded temperature was 112 degrees Fahrenheit and lowest -51 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The Upper Michigan Copper Country is the largest commercial deposit of native copper in the world.